Short Loans Centre
The Short Loans Centre (SLC) provides for the information needs of undergraduate students at the University of Cape Town. Materials in high demand are housed here and made available for limited loan periods, ensuring that essential materials are available to all who need them.
The Short Loans Centre is situated on Level 4 of the Chancellor Oppenheimer Library. It is a closed access library – our staff will retrieve the materials you need at your request. Materials housed here include books, prescribed videos and DVDs.
You may borrow 3 items at a time from Short Loans. Most items are loaned for 3 hours, but for items in very high demand, the loan period is 1 hour. Short Loan items may also be issued on overnight loan from 15h00 onwards, and must be returned by 09h30 the following morning. Weekend loans are issued from 15h00 on a Friday and must be returned by 09h30 the following Monday.
The Short Loans Collection:
- Books that have been identified by lecturers or library staff as likely to be in high demand are removed from the open shelves in the Chancellor Oppenheimer Library and placed in the Short Loans Centre where they can be made available to students for restricted loan periods.
- Lecturers may also place their own private copies of books on short loan. An agreement document covering the placement of private copies on short loan is available on request. Please complete and sign this when supplying private copies.
- To place books on short loan, please follow the Procedure for Placing Materials on Short Loan.
- Lecturers with large classes may request that additional copies of a book be purchased for the Short Loans Centre by contacting the relevant Subject Librarian. Please note that books that are locally available must be ordered at least one month prior to the date that they will be required on short loan. Books from overseas must be ordered four months in advance.
- No journals subscribed to by the Libraries will be kept in Short Loans.
DVDs and Videos
- The Short Loans Centre houses only DVDs and videos that have been prescribed by lecturers.
- Only original copies of videos and DVDs are kept in the Short Loans Centre.
- DVDs and videos in the main library collection are available at the Loans Desk.
Materials NOT accepted by Short Loans
- Course readers
- Compilations of articles
- Lecturers must fill in a Short Loans request form at the Short Loans Centre and hand it in together with the material to be placed on short loan.
- Complete the Lecturers' Request Form on our web site.
Mon - Thurs: 08h30 - 22h00
Fri: 08h30 - 17h00
Sat: 08h30 - 12h30
Mon - Thurs: 08h30 - 17h00